Avionics I Want in my Plane

My airplane choice is still a Cessna 172 XP, probably a 1977 model with the IO-360-KB engine, but the choice of avionics is separate from the airplane choice.

I'll discuss each of  the avionics components that I'd like to have in my plane, then will show an image of them after the text.

I want a modern avionics stack in the plane, modern meaning the various components communicate with each other so that they share data. The central component in a small airplane avionics stack is a MFD (Multi-Function Display). I want a currently available MFD with GPS, weather and Nav/Com features. MFD's come in a variety of prices and features. You can find them priced from $5000 to $25000, that are certified for the model of plane I'll buy. But, for an older model Cessna it wouldn't be financially practical to install a $25000 unit because you can only recover a fraction of the cost during a sale. The Garmin GTN-650 is the MFD I'm currently planning on installing.

I also want an auto-pilot due to the safety it provides for single pilot navigation - set the heading you want to fly and the AP will operate the controls and maintain that heading. This allows the pilot to work on other tasks, such as looking up navigation points, or radio channels, etc, while maintaining attitude, and heading. An AP that communicates with the GPS through the MFD is preferred because it can make heading corrections automatically.  A few weeks ago, the TrueTrak Flight Systems Co. gained FAA STC approval to produce and install an auto-pilot named PMA Vizion in small airplanes, such as the C172. It's a 2-axis AP that will couple with the GTN-650. There are other AP's available but TruTrak has been producing AP's for the experimental market for several years, and has a good reputation. The current plan is to install the Vizion. I am hoping my son Tom can assist me with the install, but he may be too busy so I will have to find a shop to do it.

Modern Nav/Com transceivers (radios) are also planned for the plane I buy. An airplane should have at least two Communication transceivers - a backup is nice, plus being able to monitor a weather channel while communicating with controllers is helpful. Many planes on the market are equipped with IFR instruments, such as two VOR's. I am currently working on IFR ground training and will do the flight training early next Spring in my own plane. NavCanada won't allow non-IFR rated pilots to start an oceanic flight - even though you can fly a route VFR if VMC prevails. If the plane I purchase comes with VOR's I will keep them and upgrade the Nav/Coms if they are too old. If I do upgrade Nav/Coms I like the Garmin GTR-225 and Garmin GNC-255A, which has Glidescope.


All airplanes that fly in controlled airspace are required to have a transponder so that air traffic control can identify airplane locations on their radar screens. Starting January 1, 2020 the FAA requires all transponders to have ADS-B Out capability. This enhancement adds altitude, and airspeed, to the location, and is coupled with the GPS for accuracy. Another aspect of ADS-B is the "In" capability, which means an airplane with ADS-B In can be warned of other aircraft in their vicinity. A warning will pop-up on the MFD showing where the the plane is in relation to my plane, and its altitude information. The In capability also allows the MFD to display weather information. I like the Garmin GTX-345 ADS-B transponder, so it's on my current list.

NavCanada requires all aircraft flying VFR OTT (Over The Top - means above the clouds) to have an ADF (Automatic Direction Finder). FAA IFR also requires one for missed approaches. If the plane I buy doesn't have an ADF I'll have to add one, probably a reconditioned KR-87.

A High-Frequency (HF) radio is required by NavCanada for the route I am taking. There are several models available, but one C172 owner says he has YAESU FT-867D installed. Not sure if this is suitable for NavCanada, but will check. 

An Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) is required in all airplanes. For international flights a 406 MHz ELT is required. Most older airplanes, seem to have the older 121.5 MHz ELT's, but my plane will have the 406 MHz version.

All the avionics equipment I have discussed so far, except for the auto-pilot, is required equipment. There is also some equipment that I'd like to include for communication control, engine performance analyzing, and fuel management.

I want to include a modern audio panel, one that can control all the com radios, the cabin intercom, cell phone, and music player. Something with a Bluetooth connection will make it easy to connect the various pieces. The audio panel I like most is the PS Engineering PAR-200A because it comes with a nav/com radio and will handle up to two coms and one nav radio, plus it has Hi-Fi Stereo Intercom with Bluetooth connectivity.

An engine analyzer would be a nice addition, but is lower on the requirements list. A good analyzer will monitor the Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT) and the Cylinder Head Temperatures (CHT), providing critical engine performance data so that I can see if any problems are occurring. Another purpose is to allow proper air/fuel mixture control, so that the engine is running at the best and economical fuel flow. The engine analyzers come in prices from $2500 - $4000. The higher priced ones also have a fuel computer so that you can see how much fuel has been used, and how much is remaining. On a long range flight like I'm planning it will be very helpful to have this information, especially to know when to move fuel from the ferry tank to the main tanks. The analyzer I like most is the JP Instruments EDM-730 because it has EGT/CHT and fuel flow computer. Cost is $3800, so it's probably not feasible considering the other equipment I'll need.

If I don't install an engine analyzer, I will install a fuel computer. The one I like is FP-5L by Electronics International. It costs about $550. 

Here's the avionics stack that I would like to have - pictured in the order they would be installed in the C172 center console. Reality of costs will kick in eventually and dictate what I can actually install:



Here's some additional equipment I've discussed. Except for the ELT, they are installed wherever panel space allows. The ELT is installed in the AFT fuselage, behind the cargo area:

I will let you know when I update my equipment choices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planned 2018 Transatlantic Trip Summary