Canada Requires Transatlantic Pilots to Have Instrument Rating

As it turns out, the Canadian Aviation Regulations require any transoceanic flight departing Canadian airspace to be conducted by a pilot holding an instrument rating, as explained in CAR 602.39. You can conduct a transoceanic VFR (Visual Flight Rules) flight, but you must hold an instrument rating.

Also, after further weather research of the Narsarsuaq Newfoundland to Wick Scotland transatlantic route, and discussing it with people that have made the trip, I've decided the flight will probably be IFR, not VFR as I originally stated in my first post.

VFR gives you the freedom to choose a flight path and altitudes that you prefer, where IFR means your flight is fully controlled by Air Traffic Controllers. 

It turns out that there is always a high probability for clouds along the route, at altitudes between 6000 - 9000 MSL, during August. So, being proactive and planning it as IFR is the best and safest choice. If I get there and it's a CAVU day, then I may start under VFR and if things deteriorate switch to IFR.

I found an article called Atlantic Crossing that was published in Dec 2016 by a pilot that made the trip with his wife in a Cessna 182T Turbo. The 182 can fly around 20000 MSL, where the 172 XP can only get to around 15000 MSL. Plus, it is more powerful and can cruise at 158 kts vs the 172 XP's 130 kts. They took the northern route, which is more likely to encounter bad weather than the route I'm planning to take, but they chose it because the legs are shorter and don't require them to carry extra fuel.

According to the article it looks like, as I anticipated, that getting insurance for the flight will be difficult. 

I don't have an IFR rating, but my plans are the following:

  1. Take a Jeppesen online ground school course and finish by January 2018.
  2. Take FAA written exam in early January 2018.
  3. Start IFR flight training in February after my airplane purchase.
  4. Take the FAA oral and practical exams in May 2018.
Here's a link to the FAA's Instrument Rating Requirements. The AOPA's Instrument Rating Requirements are easier to understand.

I started the Jeppesen ground school about three weeks ago, and have completed 17% of the course, which puts me on schedule for an end-of-year finish. Delays are likely, but smooth sailing now. 

Here's a snapshot of the Jeppesen Ground School:







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planned 2018 Transatlantic Trip Summary